Thursday, May 1, 2008

Another lapse, but I have an excuse

O.K., I’m feeling guilty that I haven’t posted here for a bit, but I’ve been busy getting my official certification as a volunteer for the Emergency Animal Rescue Service (EARS).

EARS is a program run by United Animal Nations to respond to disasters, both natural and man-made. We’re not the people who go out in boats --- we’re the people who set up the shelter and provide a place for the people in the boats to bring the animals left behind during disasters.

We also do outreach in the community, letting people know about planning for their pets during disasters and letting local agencies know that we are here and available in the event of an emergency.

Obviously, I’m super cooled-out about the whole thing. I have to start working on getting my “deployment bag” ready, even though I have no idea when, or if, I’ll ever go out on a run. I’m sure I’ll eventually do something, even if it’s just a short stint at a long event.

Interestingly enough, one area where EARS is seeing more calls these days is to respond to puppy mill and hoarding situations. I would love, love, love to take part in a rescue of that nature.

If by chance another EARS person catches a glimpse of this, drop me an email. At my training it looked like I was the only one from this far south, so if there are more of you out there, let me know.

Peace

No comments:

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.