Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Writing my way through writer's block

I have writer’s block, easily one of the worst cases I can remember having in a long, long time. Not for lack of having things to say --- it’s more like my brain has decided to stop stringing together properly constructed sentences (well, as properly constructed as mine get, anyway).

This is not to say that other circumstances have helped. We’ve had some wonderful weather lately. Hanging out in the backyard with a cold microbrew while the pets fritter around in the now-lengthened daylight has been a bit more compelling than hunching myself over the keyboard trying to write something thoughtful. Or intelligible. Fear not, for living in Kern County the lazy days of spring quickly flow into the holy-jeepers-it’s-hot days of summer, so this will be an excuse with a very limited window.

Plus, it’s been busy. As many of you know, I’m on the Board of Friends of the Kern County Animals Shelters Foundation (which shall forever be referred to as “Friends” or FKCASF from here on out, because the official name is too freaking long to type). Since this is a fairly new involvement for me, I’m still adjusting to the various time commitments that the position requires and usually feeling that there isn’t enough time in the day to do either the justice they deserve. Fundraisers like the one Friends just held at Red Brick Pizza don’t just happen on their own and time that I spend working on that end of my world usually ends up taking a chunk out of another module. I’m sure that I’ll ultimately end up figuring out how to properly allocate my time to everything that tugs at my sleeve, but I haven’t quite gotten there yet.

I’m also wrestling with the notion that I’ve become increasingly drawn into other areas of animal treatment, most notably those concerning factory farming, humane treatment of livestock and sustainable farming. On the one hand, it seems to me to be a perfect compliment to my overall site, as humane is humane, regardless of which species we are discussing. On the other, the bulk of my site is dedicated to companion animals and I’m not altogether sure that including information on farming practices is what people who peruse this site have in mind. I’m open to feedback on this issue, so if you’re interested in hearing more about farming and factory farming issues (or if you’re not), feel free to share.

So, in short, I apologize. I try to provide as much original material on here as possible, but on occasion the well needs to be dug a little deeper in order to produce. Rest assured, I’m digging and fully expect to hit pay dirt again any day now. Thanks for standing by.

No comments:

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.