Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Absolutely vacspazztic

"Does this look like the face
of a vacspazztic to you?"
One trait Darby and I share is our devotion to routine. I have a particular way of seeing that my trains run on time when I have tasks to complete, much like Darby in his attendance to matters of home and yard. We both enjoy the rhythm that accompanies completing our checklist item by item, partly because it ensures that we get done what we mean to get done and partly because our dedication to process means it's pretty easy to keep an eye on one another as we move through the day.

On the other hand, it also means that we can read each other like a book. When I see his tail hit a particular set, I know I have about seven seconds to redirect him before mayhem ensues and, likewise, when he sees me begin a pattern of activity, he knows what's coming next.

In some ways our connectedness works well --- I can keep him out of trouble before he has a chance to make a little, and he can depend on me to behave pretty much the same way every time I do something, which gives him the reassurance that all is well in Doodlebug-land.

Then there's vacuuming.

I have no idea what goes through his mind as I begin picking up his toys to toss in the toy basket (and yes, apparently the only time I'm inclined to actually pick up his toys is when I'm about to vacuum), but based on the distinct change in the set of his body, I'm guessing it's something along the lines of, "OHMYDOGOHMYDOGOHMYDOG!
IT'STIMEFORTHEBIGLOUDNOISYTHINGTHECATSHATETOCOMEOUTANDPLAY!!!!!"


The dude simply loses all sense of reason when it comes to the vacuum cleaner. He's not afraid of it (though he does have a distinct weirdness about cords, vacuum cords included), he doesn't really want to kill it and he doesn't want to touch it, but he loves nutting up about it, tearing up and down the hall, flying from room to room trying to stay one step ahead of it, but repeatedly needing to come back to where I am to see if I really am going to push the green monster to every room.

Like many other aspects of the Doodle's personality, this is the first time I've had a dog so thoroughly enchanted with flipping out over the vacuum cleaner, so much so that I think I need a new a new word to properly assign to it: vacspazztic.

Anyone else belong in this club? Let me know --- if there's enough of us, maybe we'll make membership cards.

6 comments:

Judi said...

Love it! What a loveable goofball!

FANCY the Red Standard Poodle said...

Hi Y'all,

I like to play with the Robot vac. The other vac I DEMAND stop and thoroughly vacuum me. It is a wonderful soothing, massaging thing that sucks off the loose hair and itchy dirt...oh YES! Bring it on!

Y'all come by now,
Hawk aka BrownDog

meowmeowmans said...

LOL. I love that he enjoys the vac so much. :)

Vicky said...

Hawk, I think you come to come and live with me. I have a gator-free cement pond and can vacuum you daily :)

Yes, Darby is a goof of gigantic proportions!

Marg said...

That actually is kind of cute. The doggies here just move to another room when the vacuum comes out. But Doodle sounds like he is having a blast. Now the cats just plain get out of dodge. Hope you have a fun day. Take care.

snoopy@snoopysdogblog said...

Vicky,

I think it's official, I think Darby and I really are very similar!

I have a very tough time with that crazy vacuum machine - I start barking at it and getting really close to it to let it know I'm not afraid, I don't know if I'm afraid or excited, it's all just so loud and it's got big bright eyes at the front and it comes charging towards me!

When Dad uses it I'm much calmer as he saw this thing on TV (Cesar Milan) where you have to put the Dog on the leash if they freak out and bring them alongside you while you do it - I know Dad's gonna do that if I go crazy! I really don't want to be tied up next to it!

Mum, on the other hand has tried this but she finds it too hard to control me AND the scary vacuum thingy, so I know she's not gonna do it, so I'm free to yell at the vacuum.....

Don't think I don't know what it can do, it can inhale my lovely fur without a second thought and I know it would, cos when I've left some lying around - whoosh, it grabs it! - I have no idea why Mum and Dad would want such a scary monster in the house anyway?!

Good luck with the monster Darby,

Your pal Snoopy :)

 

Blog Design By Sour Apple Studio © All Rights Reserved.